- Fabio Massacci (MEng’92, PhD’98 Computer Engineering, MA’95 in International Relations), married with two children, has been in Rome, Cambridge, Toulouse, Trento, and Amsterdam. He held visiting positions in Durham, Koblenz, Lueven, Marina del Rey, and Oslo.
- He is one of the few professors who has presented in top hackers’ venues (BlackHat USA, Asia), top computer security conferences (ACM CCS, IEEE S&P), top empirical software engineering journals (ESEJ, IEEE TSE) and top risk analysis journals (Risk Analysis). For his work on security and trust in socio-technical systems he has received the Ten years Most Influential Paper Award by the IEEE Requirements Engineering. He has coordinated several European > projects (including a multidisciplinary projects with economist, sociologists abd computer scientists on socio-economic aspects of security SECONOMICS). He is the coordinator on the H2020 AssureMOSS project on open source security risk assessment and certification (“Written everywhere, Secured in Europe”).
- While almost all professors are sellers of technologies (through their papers or their spin-offs) he was for 7 years deputy rectors for ICT procurements and services supervising a 70+ workforce and several millions Euro in outsourcing contracts. This made him a buyer of computing technology and a user of risk analysis. His perspective of what is a useful security technology or a useful risk analysis is shaped by this experience and very diverse: prestigious corporations are not longer (only) the place to send your > students or funders of your research, they are sloppy suppliers selling overpriced products.
- He actively participated to civil society. He worked as a volunteer with underprivilege people and in refugee camps. He held, among others, the post of European Executive member and Treasurer of Service Civil International an international NGO with consultative status at UNESCO and the European Youth forum. For his MA he wrote a dissertation on the cooperation between democracies and social islamic movements (instead of funding Saudi princes). He qualified at the world-wide competition to become an U.N. Officer but eventually opted to be an Assistant Professor (ok, nobody is perfect).
Download the CV Full CV - Updated Jan 2021.
There are NEW Positions below (check collaborators) at VU Amsterdam.
You can also find quite a few on Trento’s web page. Few highlights can be also foud below.
New position as Tenure Track Assistant Professor at the University of Amsterdam. Deadline Jan. 19 at 12noon (CET)
New positions as Post-doc and PhD student at VU Amsterdam. Write me an email and send your cv if you are interested.
I am always interested in getting new candidates (either in Trento or in Amsterdam). Contact me with a specific proposal and make sure you have at least skipped some of my papers. I receive gazillions of letters of the kind: ‘I’m very keen to work on your supervision on… follow a list of things on which I have clearly no competences or skills.
For Chinese Students interested ina PhD please consider the opportunities offered by the VU Fellowship by the Chinese Scholarship Council. Contact me if you are interested.
If you think that is strange, I have been also strongly involved in the sector of International Voluntary Service Organizations and Peace Movements. Now I’m more active in supporting Fair Trade Organization. I have a special relationship with the Philippines as I personally know quite a few activists of the human rights and fair trade movement there.
I met my wife Beatrice De Blasi while working in the NGO sector.
For the lectures, it is a lot better that you check the web pages of the University. Those ones are always updated (and anyhow they are the ones that I have to use).
For Master Theses, send me an email from your students’ account. Try to read the bio to make sure that I’m sort of interested in the things you want to do.
I also supervise Theses carried in industry and I actually encourage you to do so. A thesis in industry is not a bad thesis, there are just some caveat in terms to make sure that you can make an interesting work and report some interesting scientific findings.
I have a long standing cooperation agreement with SAP Research Labs in France. You might do a internship there than can then become a MSc thesis. Several people continued into an industrial PhD.
I have several Research projects for motivated students either in Amsterdam or Trento, roughly they correspond to 6 or 12 ECTS. They can also become thesis.
Jeez, you went till here. You deserve something. IF you are a former student of mine who wants a recommendation letter it is mission critical that you read the instructions.
Otherwise, send me an email (that is a good joke). You can use
- my IEEE address “email@example.com”.
- my Amsterdam address “firstname.lastname@example.org”,
- my Trento address “email@example.com”,
Alternatively you may contact me on LinkedIn. This is the only social network I use.
If you want to know where I am or talk to me, check my IEEE Calendar. Most likely on digital platform somewhere.
You might also directly call me at my phone number in the official web page of the Departments.
The text on this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License CC-BY-SA-3.0